Favourite Drugstore Products

Thursday, 29 May 2014

Left Milani Luminoso| Right Milani Coralina

From Left To Right| NYC Sunny| Rimmel Natural Bronzer | Sonya Kashuk Creme Bronzer 
Loreal Gel Liner| Maybelline Gel Liner| Maybelline Master Precise| Loreal The Superslim

Revlon Colourstay| Covergirl 3 in 1

Maybelline Hilight| Hard Candy Tiki

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder Translucent

NYX Brow Cake Powder| Pixi Natural Brow Duo

Revlon Colourstay Concealer| Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser| Maybelline Dream Touch Highlighting Concealer 

Maybelline Eyestudio Eyeshadow| Rimmel Eyeshadow Quad| Loral Infallible Eyeshadow

Left To Right| Maybelline Colour Elixir| Revlon Lip Butter| Maybelline Nude Collection

I love drugstore makeup. Let me just start with that. Anytime I walk into a grocery store, a target, walmart, whatever- I head to the makeup section. Its a makeup junkies playland, with the reasonable prices you can test and try all things that look fun! I will admit to loving high end makeup as well, and sometimes you do get what you pay for.... But there are some gems in the drugstore that beat out my high end goodies too! Its a really great idea to have some drugstore staples that you can rely on for products you need to rebuy monthly. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on a great blush because I know its going to last me a hell of a lot longer than a foundation or mascara will. So here are some of my absolute favourites at the drugstore, I picked my tops from each makeup section. 

Blush
Milani makes absolutely, hands down, the best blush at the drugstore. If i'm being honest, blush is the product I find does not shine in the drugstore, most are chalky, not pigmented enough, overly pigmented, not blendable, you know how it goes. But the Milani Baked Blush nails it on the head on every level. The colour selection is amazing, there are many finishes to choose from, the pigmentation is perfect (not too sheer, not too pigmented where you apply a little and you look like a clown), blendable, it is honestly everything you need.

Bronzer
I have tried my fair share of drugstore bronzers and these 3 are my favourites. NYC Sunny is perfect for a tanned girl, on a fair girl it can come off a little on the orange side, but with a tan this stuff looks amazing, natural and sunkissed. It is also the best priced bronzer out there at only a few bucks. The next one, Rimmel, is great for girls of all skin tones because there are so many shades to choose from, they all are easy to blend, pigmented, and look very natural on the skin. The last one is the only cream bronzer I have ever loved from the drugstore which is the Sonya Kashuk Creme Bronzer in Rich Tan. It is super super blendable, the colour is great, and it looks like silk on the skin. If you've noticed all of my picks here are matte, I think it makes it more versatile because you can bronze and contour with them, and they look great in the day and night. 

Liners
As far as gel liners go, Maybelline and Loreal are the best (and maybe only?) liners I reach for at the drugstore. I can't choose between them honestly! They are both so good! So black, easy to work with, long wearing and flawless. Funnily enough I chose the same brands for liquid liner! Go Maybelline and Loreal! These two liners are great, the Superslim liner is a little smaller and thinner in the applicator, but I find them both easy to work with, both pigmented. The Maybelline does dry out a little faster, and both tend to smudge on me a little bit but honestly they aren't waterproof so what do you expect really. 

Foundation
I think I'm a little bit on my own with my opinons on drugstore foundations. I like a full coverage long wearing foundation. These two knock my socks off for drugstore. The Revlon Colourstay will literally stay on your face all day- it will not move. It is my trusty foundation for a long day. Not only that but it actually looks quite natural! It feels a tad heavy but that doesn't bother me, my favourite way to apply it is with the beauty blender. There are tons of shades, it sets up but doesn't look overly matte, ya it has a little but of a perfumey smell but honestly, I can't say enough good things. Covergirl 3 in 1 is my second fave, I went through a solid 3 months of using exclusively this. It feels light, is full coverage, the shades are awesome and look very "skin like" (sometimes I look at the shade choices for drugstore foundations and wonder who the hell would ever be that colour), it lasts a solid 6-8 hours, sets up but isn't too matte or drying. I love this one as well. 

Hilighters 
I have seen some highlighters popping up here and there in the drugstore and these are my faves. The Maybelline one comes in many shades but I think the Nude one is the truest actual cheekbone highlight. It has a nice natural shimmer that looks great alone or over blush. The Hard Candy Tiki is much more of a natural glow, I can't see much actual glitter in it, it just gives a pretty sheen to the skin, perfect for the day or a natural look.

Powder
I have probably gone through 8 of these in my lifetime. Rimmel Stay Matte is my trusty powder. I like my powder translucent, I don't like to add more coverage since I like my foundation full coverage an this one gets the job done. Helps my makeup last all day, keeps me matte, I love it. Not much to say except that it works and it very well priced! 

Brows
Brows are a very important step that can get missed in the drugstore, not all brands offer brow products but I have found a few hot ones. The NYX Brow Cake Powder is easy to use, and looks quite natural if you're looking for a powder product. If you're looking for a pencil type product then the Pixi is for you, it has a pencil and gel. You can wear the gel alone as it has a slight tint if you're in a hurry, or you can pencil it in and set it with the gel after. I like that the gel isn't too stiff, it looks nice and natural.

Concealers
Wow the names of these are REALLY long! Phew. Lets start with my face concealer. I love the Revlon Colurstay. It is similar to the MAC Prolongwear which is my go-to high end concealer. It is liquidy but still thick enough that its not runny, the coverage is medium to full, and the wear is insane! The next two are for my undereyes. The Maybelline Instant Age Rewind is great, with its sponge applicator it is a cinch to use, it will give you a nice brightness to the undereye, it feels light, blends out easily, and sets up really nicely almost to a powdery type finish. The Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting concealer is just that, a beautiful highlighting concealer, it illuninates the undereye in a way that is not unflattering as can be the case with "glowy" products, but it just gives a nice brightness. I love the texture of it, thick but creamy, it feels really luxurious and moisturizing, I do set it with a powder to prevent creasing with all of my undereye concealers.

Shadows
Okay, can I just say it is not an easy job finding a good eyeshadow at the drugstore. This was probably the hardest for me. I actually went out and picked up shadows from every drugstore brand to test out and give me very well rounded opinion. Let me just say, it was an uphill battle, there are some crappy shadows out there so beware! What do I want in a shadow? Pigmented, blendable, long wearing, is that too much to ask? Apparently.... But these ones passed the test! The Maybelline Eyestudio is amazing, pigmented, creamy, luxurious, beautiful! My one complaint? Where are the matte shades people!? Next up is the Rimmel Quad, not overly pigmented, still nice, blendable, not the longest wearing but it was the best matte shadow palette I was able to find. Finally (saved the best for last) the Loreal Infalliable *drool*, seriouslyyyy if you're going to buy a drugstore shadow please buy this one! This is just as good as any of my high end shadows. It is so creamy, so pigmented, blendable, long wearing- its got it all.

*I wanted to leave a little side note and say that if you are looking to get some drugstore priced eyeshadows that are seriously high end quality then check out makeup geek, they are MAC quality shadows for a very decent price. Check out my review here.

Lips
And last but not least, the lips. I have talked about the lip butters already so you can check out my review here. I will say they are my summer go-to lippies- beautiful colour range, moisturizing, easy to apply, love em. Now, the Maybelline Nudes collection was probably the most needed lip collection in the drugstore if you ask me. It was damn near impossible to find nude lippies at the drugstore for a while there, if you wanted a nude you had to hit up MAC. I found some amazing nudes in this collection, my favourite being blushing beige. To top it all off, the Maybelline Elixirs are my favourite gloss. Yes the are on the heavy feeling side, but they are creamy, non sticky, moisturizing, long wearing and the colours are gorgeous.

I think that about covers it!... Wait! You say, what about mascara? Well... I will be doing a full post on drugstore mascara because there are so many great ones and I wanted to do an in depth review! So keep your eyes peeled! 

2 comments:

  1. Love love your picks! I totally want luminoso and that shade of the l'oreal shadow is sooo pretty! We don't have it in singapore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you soo much I truly appreciate that! I hate when I see a good drugstore buy and I can't get my hands on it. I will keep an eye out for some dupes for you!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments. I enjoy reading every single one!

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER