The Balm Cosmetics

Thursday, 10 April 2014

Today is a lovely day. Why you ask? Well, classes at uni finished yesterday, my final papers are handed in and I have about 2 weeks until final exams begin. For that reason, I have dedicated today to spring cleaning, catching up on emails, blogging, all of the stuff I did not get time to do for the last few weeks and I will not get time to do in the next 2 weeks. So, I am sitting here with my mug of coffee and writing up a post on my latest Hautelook haul from The Balm Cosmetics. Mainly I wanted to purchase the Balm Schwing eyeliner, but I found a couple of other products that caught my eye as well.






Packaging
As I'm sure we've all discovered, the Balm's packaging is absolutely adorable. The little Archie type cartoons and the names that just make you wonder what brilliant person in sitting in their office all day thinking up these witty quips are the icing on the cake for this brand. However, I have a couple of complains I have to admit. The pigment packaging is quite a light plastic that doesn't feel quite as expensive as some of the others I own, and the lid takes me a couple times to screw on right. The eyeliner, though I am warning you now a rave review is coming, has a small felt tip that is a little more flimsy than I would like and doesn't give me the control I would have hoped for. Though it is sleek and thin, easy to throw in your bag. The concealer packaging is made of the same plastic as the pigment, same packaging, however I don't have issues with screwing it closed.

Schwing Liner
Okay, I need to breathe here, because I have finally found my absolute favourite holy grail status eyeliner. I love this stuff! In all of my years of purchasing liquid liners I had hoped and wished for a matte black, which I have never ever been able to find. All of the liquid liners I have tried have sort of a glossy black finish which I don't particularly love, so I find myself reaching to gel liners more often than not, even though I find liquid liners quicker and easier (and more travel friendly). Finally I have found my perfect matte black. It looks flawless on the eyes, lasts all day, doesn't smudge or break up on my lids. Other than the fact that I wish the felt tip was a litttllle bit more stiff, it is thin enough to get a precise line and has a wider base if you fancy a thick and dramatic winged look.

Work is Overrated 
First lets just take a second and process how much I love the name of this... okay?.... okay. This pigment is a really pretty cool silvery champaign colour. If you have been following some of my other posts you will know that I have been getting back into my beautiful pigments as the sun is finally peaking out. This pigment is nice and finely milled with shimmer. It doesn't last quite as long as some of my other pigments and is not quite as opaque (MAC and Makeup Geek), but it is very beautiful nonetheless and if you use a primer it will last you a good amount of time. I don't think I will be actively seeking out more of The Balm's pigments, but if a great sale comes up again I just might!

Time Balm Concealer
This has to be my least favourite of the bunch. This is marketed for dark circles and imperfections. I am very, very picky with my concealers especially since I have quite the impressive under eye circles and acne scars that take a lot to cover, and of course I want it to last me all day and look completely flawless (that isn't too much to ask right?). This concealer just didn't cut it for me. First of all it is quite orange... I don't really get when companies make orange concealers and foundations, who's skin is that shade? Besides that, it is a medium to full coverage but it is quite heavy and thick, too thick for my undereyes for sure. It creases and looks heavy under there. I also tried it on my blemishes and scars. It did cover blemishes, but not my acne scars. It is supposedly filled with vitamins and good thinks for your skin which might be the reason it feels almost oily when you warm it up with your fingers, but that is the only way I am able to apply it since it is too thick to be applied cold with a brush.

Well back to my spring cleaning! I hope you all enjoyed this review.

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the balm cosmetics - do they sell them in the Uk do you know? x

    http://leahpaigejones.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they sell worldwide on their website though the shipping may be steep! I actually bought mine off of Hautelook, they come on periodically at a discounted price :)

      Delete
    2. Ooh ok, thanks for your help! x

      Delete
  2. hey! I absolutely love your blog!!! I've selected you for the 'Very Inspiring Blogger Award'! Hope you'll pass it on!! xo kelly

    http://beautyhuddle.blogspot.com/2014/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I've never tried the Balm, but I love their retro packaging. Nice blog, I'm a new follower!

    And by the way, I have an international giveaway on my blog, hope you will enter;
    http://beautyandlifestylehunter.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that put a smile on my face!

      Delete
  4. Lovely blog, I've never tried any of the products but I might have to give them a go! Also, I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award, you can check out the rules her http://eilidhd.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would check out the Mary Loumanizer by the Balm, its one of my oldies but its the best!

      Delete
  5. The pigment in the liner looks absolutely amazing! I hate it when they look too watery and get big gaps all over the shop, it's an absolute pet hate! This looks almost matte, I'm thinking your holy grail might have to become mine! Never heard of the brand either so it's nice to see something fresh being reviewed about, thanks!

    Lovely blog btw..

    elisse x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet thank you so much Elisse! I would recommend waiting for it on Hautelook, the Balm comes on that website every so often on amazing discounts! If you are ever looking to try anything else from them I would also recommend the Mary Loumanizer highlighter, it is one of my faves :) Thank you so much for reading! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments. I enjoy reading every single one!

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER