Illegal Length Mascara

Friday, 4 April 2014

Mascara is one of the main items I will buy from the drugstore on a regular basis. Sure I will splurge on a high end mascara if it has rave reviews to see what all the hype is about but mainly my mascara comes from the drugstore. There are a couple of reasons for this. One- you should be throwing mascara out every 3-4 months for good hygiene, so it gets quite expensive if your mascara costs you 30$. Two- I haven't really found a high end mascara that is much better than my drugstore buys. Honestly, there are a lot of brands that make great mascaras in the drugstore. I had been using my old, trusty L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black in waterproof for a long time, and since I has to toss it last week I decided to branch out and try something new. I decided to go with the Maybelline Illegal Lengths in waterproof. My sister has raved about this mascara for a long time so I thought I would check it out for myself. The colour is very black (I always recommend going with the blackest black that is offered). This mascara promises to add fibers to the lashes to elongate them.

A little about my lashes:
They are short, thin, and don't hold a curl (jealous yet?...). The hardest thing for me is that even when I do get volume from a mascara, my lashes tend to droop from all of the coats of mascara and you cant see the volume anyway. This tends to happen with all mascaras I use. Waterproof formulas help, and they tend to be a bit drier so I usually go for that if it is available.

I did 3 coats of the mascara to show how it builds up, many mascaras get clumpy after a couple coats. I curled my lashes with a MAC eyelash curler before application.









My thoughts:

The formula of this mascara is quite dry. You brush does not get saturated with product which is great for my lashes since you are applying such a thin coat of mascara it dries very quickly and does not allow the lashes to droop. Though, you do have to work quickly between coats since it dries so fast. The brush itself grabs the lashes quite well. It has lots of different length bristles that are close enough together to separate the lashes but not so close that it removes mascara when you are coating the lashes.

One coat looks very natural, your lashes enhanced. I think one coat would be great for an everyday, no makeup look. It adds length but not a whole lot of volume and it darkens them up so that they define the eye better.

Two coats adds a lot of length. Some volume is added as each lash is thickened with a little mascara but mainly this mascara adds length (as apparent by the name). They look relatively separated, a few start to kind of stick together with the mascara but overall I think it is a nice look when you want a little more oomph to your lashes.

Three coats of mascara is always tricky... Never have I met a mascara that looked perfect with 3 coats. There is always a bit of clumping, spideryness that comes along with that amount of mascara. This mascara does okay on the third coat, you definitely get some more volume. The issue I have with this mascara on coat number 3 is that the little fiber extensions that are added to the lashes look a bit scraggly on the tips of the lashes. I think what is happening here is fibers are being added to the fibers that were already added on coat number 2 and they start to look a bit stringy. But the lashes are still separated and full and the curl is still going strong!

Honestly right now I am loving this mascara. My lashes look nice and long and because they are staying nice and curled they look more volumized than they did with my previous mascara which did add more volume than this one but because my lashes were drooping you couldn't see any of it.

If you have lashes that are short and can't hold a curl I would really recommend this one. Mascara is quite a personal choice, everyone's lashes are different and have different needs. I hope this has helped!

4 comments:

  1. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, if you're interested it explains everything on my blog!

    Paige Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) I will have to pop over and take a look!

      Delete
  2. It looks okay, nice an natural. Brush isn't my cup of tea though, I like big plastic ones :-)

    Beauty Soup | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a wear this one on an everyday, going to school basis! If you love the rubbarized wands you would love the Covergirl lashblast, that has been a go-to of mine for years. I am just trying out the Maybelline the rocket which is also that plastic type of wand.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments. I enjoy reading every single one!

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER